<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Very Hungry Caterpillar 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comPoor, poor Spoon was not invited to the little girl next door’s party. She spent the day sighing heavily as she watched the little dressed up girls run around the yard and eat cake.

Spoon really needs a stripping. She now resembles an extremely fuzzy, extremely poisonous caterpillar. When she walks her hair ripples and undulates just like the stinging hairs of a caterpillar. If I catch her out of the corner of my eye for an instant I’ll get a panicked, insane urge to smash her with my shoe.


Image hosted by Photobucket.comI had a similar problem with some oven mitts E’s mother gave us for Christmas last year. They were yellow and black, the exact same color combination of yellowjackets, a particularly vicious, territorial species of wasps that infested my home town. (One of the high school’s mascot was even named the Yellowjackets). We hung the mitts up next to the stove and every time I walked by and caught that flash of yellow and black the primitive part of my brain would scream, “DANGER, AGONY, STINGING, RUN” and I would jump out of my skin. They were great mitts but they upset me so much we finally had to give them away.

Spoon on blender cleaning detail:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments:
So cute! Although I feel bad for Spoon not being invited to the party. :(
 
Is that caterpillar real? Just looking at it makes me wanna barf. -fof
 
Oh it's real. It's a megalopyge opercularis, or "Puss Caterpillar." Check out this video on YouTube.
 
In Texas they're called asps. You can imagine my confusion as a little girl, though, when I heard that Cleopatra committed honor suicide by releasing a bunch of asps in her room. Different animal all together, of course. They do sting like hell.
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?