<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Wit and Wisdom of Churchill 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThis is rather apocryphal, but I love it. Here Churchill is responding to accusations that he has not given the Royal Navy its due.

Addressing the Sea Lords: "You say that I am ignoring the time-honored traditions of the Royal Navy? And what might they be? I shall tell you in three words: rum, buggery, and the lash! Good morning, sirs."

If I ever get a boat, I am so naming it "Rum, Buggery and the Lash."

Comments:
I wrote your cousin R and told her I thought that would make a great new band name! Which of the descriptors would characterize R best? She'd probably get the biggest laugh out of 'buggery' but would ultimately make the best 'rum'. We DID go to an S&M party once as s&m posers so maybe 'lash' would work also...
 
Actually, that's the name of a Pogues album: "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash"... so people would probably just think you were a huge Shane MacGowan fan.
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?