<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 20, 2006

You'll rue the day you crossed me, Trebek. 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comIt’s often hard for me to distinguish between a crank phone call and a member of the genuinely confused, possibly insane public.

An elderly woman called with a strong Scottish brogue. I could barely hear her over her blaring television set.

“I was watching that millionaire show, you know the one with Trebek… and Regis Philbin and… I can’t remember the name of the other two hosts. Anyway, one of the questions was, 'Which host is dead and a clone.'”

“What was the question?”

“Which host is dead and a clone?”

"Well, I know that one of the recent Jeopardy contestants jokingly called Alex Trebek a cyborg."

"A what?"

"A human with mechanical or computer parts."

"What? Well, the answer was Alex Trebek."

"Alex Trebek is not dead, and he's not a clone. I think they were making a bad joke."

"Why would they say that? I don't think that's right. I don't think that's right at all. Are ye sure?"

"Yes, they were trying to be funny, but you're right, that joke was in poor taste."

"It most certainly was. Thank you."

I like to watch Jeopardy because it helps keep me sharp for work. Spoon loathes the host, Alex Trebek, however. Whenever she hears his voice she growls and charges the television, screeching and snarling. She then will pace around the room, gnash her teeth and shake and shred her stuffed toys. I call it the Thirty Minutes of Hate. Border Terrier’s are bred to be heard under 10 feet of earth, so her piercing barks really detract the whole Jeopardy viewing experience.

At first we couldn’t figure out what it is about Alex Trebek that aroused such strong passions in Spoon. Although he can be a little smug and affected with his foreign pronunciations, he seems like a mostly inoffensive Canadian to me, which is why I always thought Sean Connery’s irrational, belligerent hatred of Alex Trebek on the Celebrity Jeopardy skits on SNL was so funny. Eventually we figured out that it’s the Double Jeopardy graphics that set her off. For some reason, the way the graphics rush and spin out antagonize her, and now she associates Trebek’s voice with them, so as soon as she hears his voice she starts her fit.

Comments:
that's pretty great. i usually have the same reaction to the Daily Double graphics. mostly because the soundtrack sounds curiously like laser beams.
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?