<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Stinking of Gin 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comA man called and asked, “Is it illegal to draw presidents?”

“Do you mean draw a picture of them, sketch them?”

“Yeah! I drew a picture of Abraham Lincoln and I used his face on the penny as the, you know, model. I showed it to my friend and he told me that it was illegal to draw presidents. He said I could get in big trouble.”

“No, it’s not illegal.”

“Are you sure? Because I’ve been doing a lot of drawing lately. I just got out of psychiatric and I’m trying to get my life together and I don’t want to do anything to get in trouble.” He started crying. “Are you sure that I’m not going to get into trouble? I don’t want to get into any trouble.”

“I promise you it’s not illegal. Open any newspaper and I’m sure you’ll find a drawing or caricature of President Bush. People draw political and famous people all the time. It’s not illegal. Your friend is mistaken.” And an asshole.

Through jagged breathing, “OK. Thank you.”

Some friend. I had a mental image of the patron as fragile, innocent Billy Bibbit in One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, the one whose character is destroyed by Nurse Ratched. What is this extremely common human compulsion to discourage and shit on other people’s work, hopes and dreams?

By the way, these days you can catch the excellent character actor Brad Dourif on Deadwood as alcoholic, tormented Doc Cochran, a man ruined by his memories as a Civil War field surgeon. Whenever I see him I think of the Rocky Raccoon lyrics:
The doctor came in,
stinking of gin,
and proceeded to lie on the table

Comments:
ahaha, that's funny.

those pictures of the puppies are ADORABLE!
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?