<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Valuable Lesson about Reaching out to Strangers 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comWhen E was a little girl she placed a note in a red balloon filled with helium.

Hi! I'm 8 years old. I live in _____. If you find this please let me know how far this balloon traveled. This is an experiment.
Thank you!


As she released the balloon and watched it float away, she dreamed of all the exotic locations it might reach. What kind of person would find the note? Maybe she and the finder could become penpals! In what seemed like an eternity (more likely a couple of weeks) a thick envelope arrived at her house addressed to "The little girl who sent the balloon."

Full of joyful anticipation, she read the note, which was written in a spidery, ancient script.

Dear little girl,
Your note was just the sweetest thing. Your balloon traveled 30 miles away to my town. Are you saved? If not, you must read these.


Curious to see what gifts her new friend sent, she dug through the rest of the package. It was crammed with Chick tracts, each one full of completely age inappropriate subject matter and terrifying images of sinners writhing in the flames of hell. She was bitterly disappointed.

Comments:
Ah yes, the Chick tracts. I spent many an hour in junior high school howling over them with my friends. I wonder if anyone got "saved" because of them?
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?