<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

TAKE ME DOWN TO PARASITE CITY

Before my recent posts have you running off to your doctor for a thorough worming, I want to caution you that hosting a few parasites might be such a bad thing. There are theories that the recent rise in auto-immune diseases such as Crohn’s Disease, Lupus, MS, arthritis, etc. could be in part blamed on our excessively sanitary, parasite-free lifestyles. Studies suggest that our immune system turns on our bodies if there’s nothing foreign for it to fight off, like a bored army stationed in a village might. With nothing to occupy the soldiers, they begin to drink, carouse, and terrorize the local civilian population: your body.

Thanks to my appetite for raw fish and meat and, most of all, my slatternly ways, I probably have a gut teeming with the little fellows, plenty to keep my immune system distracted. I feel like I have established a nice host/parasite equilibrium, with the exception of my relationship to Billy Jack, the Jack Russell terrier.
I have always suspected that there was a good and healthy reason for my aversion to cleanliness.

Comments: Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?