<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 10, 2004

Does anyone work in this confounded city?
Since I serve the public, I don't have a regular 9-5 job, which allows me to do a lot of things off hours. I was in a Bikram class yesterday afternoon on **** Street (a little prematurely; I'm not quite recovered from Lagrippe)  and looked around and there were at least 40 people in the class. At 3:30 on a weekday! Why don't those people have jobs? I know the economy is in the doldrums, and maybe they have off hour jobs too, but can that really account for that many people? And it's not just Bikram classes. Coffee shops, movies, parks, etc. are filled with loitering people at all hours.

Speaking of **** Street, the hustler boys are still making the rounds late and night and early in the morning, but lower **** has undergone an impressive revitalization since it figured prominently in the brutal documentary on youthful heroin addiction. When this studio first opened I used to look out the window while I was in class and see groups of people huddled together shooting up in the alleyway, which tended to detract from my yoga experience. Now the junkies have moved on and there's a little smoothie internet cafe run by some enterprising young immigrants and a feminist co-op sex toy shop. Yoga, dildos, and smoothies, all necessary elements to urban renewal.

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?