In Japan they play a game, called kodo, in which participants try to guess the names of up to two and a half thousand different scents. In even more refined versions of the game, one kind of incense is burned and the participants are required to find whichever other incense will combine most pleasantly with the first. And at the highest and most aesthetic level of competition, participants try to create an odour which would be most appropriate as an accompaniment to a particular literary work, perhaps one of the lesser-known poems of Kokinshu.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
They are from another planet
In Japan they play a game, called kodo, in which participants try to guess the names of up to two and a half thousand different scents. In even more refined versions of the game, one kind of incense is burned and the participants are required to find whichever other incense will combine most pleasantly with the first. And at the highest and most aesthetic level of competition, participants try to create an odour which would be most appropriate as an accompaniment to a particular literary work, perhaps one of the lesser-known poems of Kokinshu.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Library Record as Window to the Soul
I know I am breaking a cardinal rule of blogging by updating my blog so pathetically infrequently. I am continuing to suffer from post partu...
-
Because rain and damp release odors embedded in the clothing, skin and hair of our patrons, there has been a lot of airborne funk at the lib...
-
I just read Neil Gaiman’s "The Problem with Susan," a short story whose title is a play on Lewis’s The Problem of Pain . Susan is ...
-
I know I am breaking a cardinal rule of blogging by updating my blog so pathetically infrequently. I am continuing to suffer from post partu...
No comments:
Post a Comment