About five feet away from the reference desk I heard a man talking to himself in a breathy whisper. There was a rhythmic, repetitive quality to what he was saying, as if he were counting off a rosary or chanting a mantra. When I subtly leaned over to listen I discovered he wasn’t saying Hail Marys but “I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself.” Occasionally he would shake his head and laugh with manic cheer, but then he would start up again. I nervously kept an eye on him the rest of the evening, worried that he was going to stop abruptly, look over at me and say, “I'm going to kill my - Wait, not myself, YOU.” Anyway, if "I'm going to kill myself" is indeed his mantra, then he needs to have a serious discussion with his guru.
Friday, February 18, 2005
I forgot my mantra again
About five feet away from the reference desk I heard a man talking to himself in a breathy whisper. There was a rhythmic, repetitive quality to what he was saying, as if he were counting off a rosary or chanting a mantra. When I subtly leaned over to listen I discovered he wasn’t saying Hail Marys but “I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to kill myself.” Occasionally he would shake his head and laugh with manic cheer, but then he would start up again. I nervously kept an eye on him the rest of the evening, worried that he was going to stop abruptly, look over at me and say, “I'm going to kill my - Wait, not myself, YOU.” Anyway, if "I'm going to kill myself" is indeed his mantra, then he needs to have a serious discussion with his guru.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Library Record as Window to the Soul
I know I am breaking a cardinal rule of blogging by updating my blog so pathetically infrequently. I am continuing to suffer from post partu...
-
Because rain and damp release odors embedded in the clothing, skin and hair of our patrons, there has been a lot of airborne funk at the lib...
-
I just read Neil Gaiman’s "The Problem with Susan," a short story whose title is a play on Lewis’s The Problem of Pain . Susan is ...
-
I know I am breaking a cardinal rule of blogging by updating my blog so pathetically infrequently. I am continuing to suffer from post partu...
No comments:
Post a Comment