<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mosquito Coast 

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBack in Tennesse on E's family farm we were tormented into the night by the tiny buzzsaw whine of a mosquito. I was up reading when I finally spotted it hovering by the wall. Bloated and weighed down from feeding on us all, the mosquito had become careless as it lazily made its way to the next blood source. I took my book and smashed it against the wall, leaving a silver dollar size blood stain.

I'm usually terribly squeamish and reluctant to kill any creature but whenever I destroy a mosquito I think of the scene in Mosquito Coast. Some camoflauged soldiers, three menacing deserters, actually, each armed with machine guns, have demanded hospitality from the character Allie Fox (played by Harrison Ford) and his family in the middle of the jungles of Central America. The men get increasingly drunk and begin eyeing the women in the family with evil intent. Fox locks them in their ice house and poisons them with ammonium hydroxide.

As Fox and his young son are crouched in the bushes, listening to the men die, he tells his son, "Don't pity those men, Charlie. I gave them plenty of opportunity to leave." He then slaps his own neck, killing a mosquito, and shows his son his bloodstained hand. "Don't pity this insect. That's not his blood. That's my blood."

Comments: Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?