<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Noncompliance 

I watched a little toddler amuse himself stamping around on our steps by the security gate. His harried mother approached him and said, “Ok, it’s time to go.” He ignored her and continued playing around on the steps without interruption. She took his hand he went limp and fell to the ground, a perfect body drop that left her dangling him by his arm. When she bent down to pick him up he went completely limp – a perfect act of peaceful non compliance. His facial expression never changed and he never uttered a sound.

I laughed and said, “He’s like a little protester!”

She looked up and said, “Oh, yes. He’s excellent at passive resistance.”

Comments:
i "passively resisted" my mom once when i was five, by laying down in the doorway of a Kmart. she left me no choice. i needed to ride the mechanical horse IMMEDIATELY, and she was out of change. what a fascist.
 
I was so proud of myself for raising good little red diaper babies. I took them to protests before they could walk.

Then one day I sent my four year old to his room and he trudges off up the stairs singing, "We Shall Overcome."
 
Post a Comment

Sign up for my Notify List and get email when I update!

email:
powered by
NotifyList.com

Creative Commons License

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?